Sunday, October 7, 2007

Malaise and Short Shorts


Its a hemisphere in mourning as both Australia and New Zealand lost there first elimination games in the Rugby world cup. If you are wondering what Rugby is its like if football wasn't designed to sell beer. Australia lost to England because they could keep from fouling them in front of there goal posts. I believe New Zealand lost because they were dressed in All Black and the sweltering welsh heat was to much to bear. By the way the world cup is being held in France but some of the games are being played in wales which makes me think if it were held in Great Britain games wouldn't be played in Wales. Maybe they would be crafty welsh double dipping on Rugby.

Now my melancholia stems from other sources than international sport. The only prescription was five seasons and two vignettes of Daria which I watched over the past week. Because mtv is lame for too many reasons to list here they have not released Daria as a dvd box set. My fix was supplyed by vintage video captures from 1999. You young punks today have it so good with your radeon all in wonder cards HD rips. Back in my day we watched 196 kbps real media rips encoded on ISA wintv cards download over 36 kbbs modems advertised as 56k. Watching the show was a documentary in the decline of MTV as the closing credits of Daria slipped from obscure and interesting music like Cake before they blew up to voice overs promoting fanatic and buzz clips of Lifehouse. There were so edgy they couldn't be gap or American eagle they shopped at both. I'm hanging by a moment waiting for Daria to come out remastered.

Another good salve for the rash of isolation is screaming perpetual adolescents. Continuing my trend of exploiting the urban setting of my residence I took a drive up the street to Fitzroy north of Melbourne's CBD. At a place called the Evelyn Hotel I saw the Amity Affliction. The show was pretty good. My only complaint is this band called deez nuts who disparaged melody for rapping over derivative punk riffs managed to incite a piss poor mosh pit that devolved into one guy kicking people. So on the oft chance deez nuts obsessively Google them selves and Lifehouse you suck. If you have to ask people to mosh its because your music is neither rhythmically persuasive and moving. You suck and I hope you get that hat broken in.

No comments: